One of the most important things you should do about the health and quality of life of your pet is the care of its mouth and teeth. There are many solutions and dentifrices for our pets in pet stores, but they are usually expensive. Well don't worry, since I bring you some canine toothpaste recipes that we can make ourselves at home. You will save money and they will serve you the same.
The first thing is to say that you should clean the teeth of your dear furry friend every day, and a professional cleaning by a veterinarian even once a year. That said, just comment that a good brushing technique is as important as a good toothpaste. And the second we are served in this article. I've had a chihuahua, a German shepherd and a greyhound and I've always brushed their teeth. The one that lasted the least for me was 14 years ... With this I want to tell you the importance of oral cleaning of your pet to improve its quality of life and longevity.
And why so much brushing?
Dogs have many teeth in a very small space and this fact increases the chances of accumulating tartar and infections. That's why we give it so much importance. If you don't worry about this, in the long run your dear pet could suffer periodontal diseases and serious infections, in addition to gingivitis and terrible breath, as well as loss of teeth early.
Generalized symptomatology begins with:
- Anxiety and stress
- Changes in diets. (Does not eat as usual)
- Excess of drool.
- Bad breath.
- Ulcers, sores and her> Recipes of easy and cheap canine toothpastes
But let's go with the canine toothpaste recipes ...
Chicken and herb toothpaste
- 10 grams (one tablespoon) of chicken broth. (without salt or onion)
- Another 10 grams but of mint powder or any other aromatic herb. (suitable for dogs)
- 5 grams tablespoon of baking soda.
- 5 grams of vegetable oil.
Mix everything in a glass bowl until you form a homogeneous paste. Then without more, apply to the toothbrush of the dog and "to give cane". What about the fridge and you have for the next day. Do not have it more than three days in the fridge or it will break down. Many people choose to add meat broth to toothpaste to add flavor and that your dog gets better and enjoys it.
On the other hand, The good thing about this recipe is that when carrying aromatic herbs, it helps a lot with the bad breath of our dog. And the oil in this case is to help the compaction of the paste.
Toothpaste with brewer's yeast
- 20 grams of brewer's yeast
- 10 grams of aromatic herbs powder. (suitable for dogs)
- 10 grams of striped lemon peel.
- And 10 grams of table salt.
We mix all the ingredients well and that's it! I just told you to take into account the lid of the toothpaste well and put it in the fridge so that the yeast does not ferment or become acidic. further Lemon helps a lot to shine and whiten your dog's teeth. And the salt acts as a disinfectant and reducer of mouth discomforts such as small wounds and inflammations. What brewer's yeast does is that it removes bacteria from your pet's mouth and teeth. For what prevents tartar and bad breath.
Coconut and stevia toothpaste
- 40 grams of chopped stevia.
- 20 grams of organic coconut oil.
- 20 grams of baking soda.
- 15 drops of edible aromatic oils. (suitable for dogs)
First mix the stevia, coconut and baking soda. Then you add the drops of edible aromatic oil.
Stevia will be responsible for eliminating the bacteria that cause tartar plaque and bad breath. Then, coconut oil, which thanks to its antimicrobial properties, will kill the bacteria in the dog's mouth and help not to form tartar again.The essential oils in this recipe, serve to add a good fresh breath in the mouth of your pet. (Similar to the use of aromatic herbs from the first recipe).
Canine bicarbonate toothpaste
- 10 grams of baking soda.
- 10 grams of water
The simplest and simplest recipe, as well as cheap. Mix the baking soda and water well until you get a texture similar to that of the standard toothpaste that you usually use in your brushes. And ready! Baking soda has many aseptic and bleaching properties, in addition to removing bad breath and helping with small wounds and mouth sores.
- 20 grams of melted and cooled coconut oil.
3/4 cup baking soda.
5 grams of cinnamon
5 grams of probiotics
As always, mix everything well and brush.
Cinnamon is going to be great for infections, as well as improving the dog's breath. What we do with probiotics is to generate healthy bacteria, and oregano serves as an anti-viral, fungal and bacterial stimulant.
And why so many recipes if some repeat ingredients? I explain ...
It's interesting try with more than one until you find out which one your dog likes best. And is that each pet has its tastes. So if a toothpaste does not work for you, you can always try another, until you get it right with the one you like best.
And do not forget these tips for proper canine oral hygiene:
- Protect your dog from plaque, tartar, gingivitis and bad breath with daily brushes and one or two professional cleanings at the pet clinic a year.
- If your dog is a small breed, tell them they are more prone to dental problems than other races. So be careful.
- Industry food generates more dirt Buccal than homemade and natural.
- The best time of day to brush your dog's teeth is when you get home after your last walk of the day, you will get more tired and it will be easier for you. Although I already tell you that it is best to accustom your pet to daily brushing from puppies when socializing it.
- Never use human toothpaste with your dog!
- Baking soda in large quantities can be toxic for the animal, (not in the amounts that I tell you in the recipes) but if you notice any adverse reactions do not use it again.
- Eucalyptus, mint and thyme They are aromatic herbs suitable for dogs.
- If you still don't get it and your dog refuses to brush his teeth, trust a professional and use other means such as cleaning foods and toys specialized in this.
One last tip
I would try the bicarbonate toothpaste recipe first. It is the simplest and cheapest. And if you succeed with it and your dog likes it great Otherwise, keep trying with others, or add chicken broth to the baking soda recipe to see how it is. In fact, the only problem with this bicarbonate toothpaste recipe is its taste, which is not usually very pleasing to the most demanding dogs.
Bicarbonate, an ally of your dog's mouth cleaning
Baking soda has always been a well-known ally for the oral hygiene of people, and now it is also for our pets. We bring you a very effective homemade toothpaste recipe for dogs. For her you will need:
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of water or chicken broth, which will give a more pleasant taste
- A little bit of coconut oil
- Cinnamon, which will favor good breath
- Two drops of colloidal silver to kill bacteria
Mix all the ingredients, store them in a glass jar and store in the fridge, especially if you have used chicken broth in the mixture. Brush your dog's toothbrush and apply the mixture to his mouth by brushing carefully.
Each of these components plays a role. Without a doubt, it is a perfect blend for a very efficient homemade toothpaste.
With coconut oil
To make this homemade toothpaste for dogs, mint, baking soda and coconut oil. Take a container, preferably glass, and mix two tablespoons of coconut oil, two tablespoons of baking soda and a kitten of mint essential oil.
If you do not find this oil, you can put some leaves of this herb in the mixture and let it rest overnight in order to aromatize the new homemade toothpaste for dogs.
Leave it in the fridge one night to take the flavor and properties of mint well. Use it to clean your dog's teeth and remember to consume it within five days.
As a great advantage, the mint will help prevent the animal's bad breath, while the oil will act as ‘glue’ so that all products mix well in addition to being a great caries fighter.
Lemon and Yeast
This is another homemade toothpaste for dogs very easy to prepare. With just a little yeast, lemon zest and a little salt, you will get a very effective homemade dog toothpaste.
Put all the ingredients in a glass jar with a lid, or in a shaker and stir until the mixture is homogeneous. The best thing to avoid spoiling it is to store it in the refrigerator, since as you know, the yeast ferments quickly.
Lemon, in addition to preventing bad breath and leaving a fresh touch in your dog's mouth, is an additive for teeth whitening. Salt will help if there is swelling or a small wound, while yeast is ideal for eliminating bacteria, as well as preventing tartar and plaque.
We hope that these recipes help you maintain the good oral health of your pet. Don't forget to brush your teeth at least two or three times a week. The rest, they will do these natural products that you can find anywhere.
You will need to:
- 1/2 tablespoon of baking soda
- 1 tablespoon of water
In a small bowl, mix both ingredients until you have a homogeneous paste. With this preparation, the paste to brush your dog's teeth will be ready.
You may think that because of its few ingredients this recipe is not very effective, but you are wrong. The sodium bicarbonate It has many properties that make it a perfect tooth care product, since not only stain and bleach the enamelIt also prevents bad breath and relieves discomfort when there are ulcers in the oral cavity.
Now that you know how to make homemade toothpaste for dogs you will only have to choose one of the four recipes, the one you consider most suitable for your dog, also, do not forget these tips for a correct oral cleaning:
- Brushing your dog's teeth will protect him against plaque, gingivitis, tartar and bad breath. This does not replace the need for a veterinarian to perform a deep oral cleaning annually.
- Small breed dogs tend to suffer from oral diseases more than medium and large ones.
- Dogs that feed on commercial feed need to be brushed more than those who eat natural homemade diets.
- Brush your dog's teeth 2 to 3 times per week.
- Both commercial dog toothpaste and homemade dog toothpaste do not need to be rinsed, your dog will swallow it.
- Under no circumstances do you use toothpaste for humans in your dog.
- Baking soda can be toxic to dogs, so the amounts needed for toothpaste are minimal. However, if after brushing you notice any reaction, go to your veterinarian immediately.
- Among the edible oils and aromatic herbs that dogs can consume are mint, thyme, peppermint and eucalyptus.
Remember that not all dogs tolerate that we clean their teeth with a brush, if this is your case, do not forget that there are other ways to clean the teeth of a dog, using toys, natural products or treats that are on the market with this function.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to make homemade toothpaste for dogs?, we recommend that you enter our Dental Hygiene section.
Report a comment
Your message has been sent successfully.
Pet hygiene is a very important aspect, especially in teeth and breath. At one year or a little more, it is normal for signs of plaque or tartar to build up. Therefore, it is essential that when you notice this dirt in the denture, you start a daily cleaning routine, as this can cause bad breath to the canine, in addition to being prone to gingivitis.
Toothpaste for people is usually very strong to be used in dogs, because their chemicals are similar to the type of detergents, and they contain additives (fluorine) in large quantities, this is because humans do not swallow the Toothpaste, but dogs do.
That is why, here we leave you two homemade toothpaste recipes that will not be harmful to your pet and will be a good substitute if you do not find a toothpaste for them in the market:
Bicarbonate with water
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of water
With just mixing a teaspoon of water and a half of baking soda, you can use the paste achieved to brush your dog's teeth. Ideally, keep them clean and repeat the routine at least three times a week.
Toothpaste with baking soda and other ingredients:
There are other ingredients that may be useful and you can have on hand:
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of chicken broth, to give it better flavor and makes it more pleasant for your dog.
- 1 pinch of vegetable oil you have.
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, this will give you good breath.
You follow the same procedure as in the previous one, you mix everything until you have a paste and keep the recommended routine, your puppy will appreciate it.