Prrr Hello friends of Cat Smiles.
♡ Lower temperatures and makes us owe take actions to keep us warm and to make our house warm and pleasant. Many times we wonder how our cats will feel about it.
7 Points to know that our cat is cold:
1. The first thing you should know that before some low temperatures, your cat will feel colder. Although these cats make a shedding in autumn to prepare and be able to withstand winter better, breeds that have shorter and less dense hair, such as Persian, Siamese, Devon Rex or Sphinx cats, which have no hair, feel the temperatures harder low and therefore need more care and attention. That is why surely, you will notice that your cat tries take refuge near warm spaces like stoves, radiators, under blankets, inside the bed ... These signs are enough to know that your cat tries to tell you that he is cold.
2. The races with less hair, the cats puppies and the over 7 years old, they are more sensitive to temperature changes since they have a system less potent immune, so you must pay attention to your care during the winter months to ensure that they are ccomfortable and healthy. And if you are sick they are much more sensitive to cold.
3. A good idea and way to protect the cat from the cold is to leave some blankets in strategic areas so that your cat can cover and rest. Is the best solution Y economical to keep your cat warm while you are out of home. Surely your cat will know how to find them and cover them. If you have a sphinx cat or a breed of little hair we recommend covering your back with some piece of special clothes for felines, this way it will be protected and hot.
4. If you are at home you can turn on the heating and make the temperature of your home is much more pleasantSurely your cat will thank you. If you see your cat say>Remember to turn off the heatingwhen you leave home , that way you will avoid possible accidents with your cat and the heat.
5.Condition your bed with a good quilt to help isolate the cold of the ground and with a blanket so that it keep warm at night. That way you will also prevent your cat from constipe or suffer the low temperature attacks on your health.
6. Remember to leave the tightly closed windows so that there is no air flow while you try to maintain the hot house. Know how insulate the house from the cold is important to make your cat stay warm and comfortable.
7 . And finally… What happens if your cat usually goes for a walk? Our best recommendation is that if the temperatures are very low prevent your cat from leaving the house, that way you will guarantee the maximum health of your cat. In the case that you let him out you must increase the portions of your diet a little, since cats that are found outside in winter they need to eat better since they burn a lot more calories to stay hot Y protected from the cold.
♡ We hope you liked the cat article.
♡ Sources: A how
♡ Anything do not hesitate to ask us in the section of comments at the end of this post or, also, you can write an e-mail –> Contact Cat Smiles
I want to do it
Winter comes. With such low temperatures the best thing for your cat is to stay indoors wrapped in his favorite fried near the heating. The stray cat does not have those comforts and spends the winter trying to keep its temperature level while searching for food and shelter. Many die during the time, the cold wins the battle. It does not have to be like that. We can help them survive.
Why help realengos? It is not our obligation, but as thinking beings we know how terrible it is to be cold and hungry. The realengo cat that walks around your house daily or the colony of cats that lives in the corner are part of your life. You already know them. Maybe you even have names. And when that connection already exists, you cannot allow yourself to see them suffer.
Shelter against the cold
Many would like to bring them all home so that they do not suffer abroad. But we know that this situation in most cases is impossible. What we can do is create an area to shelter from low temperatures by providing food and water.
You don't have to be a graduate architect to design the area. Use materials that you have in your home such as:
• Trash cans
• Cardboard boxes
• Garbage bags
• Plastic containers for water and food
Important data for shelter:
• It must be private: the cat does not like to feel exposed, especially at mealtime.
• The installation must be raised from the ground to keep it dry.
The refuge varies if we talk about a single cat or a colony.
If the stray cat already knows your home:
• Place a cardboard box, trash can or plastic container raised from the ground in a private place around your home, be it the garage, a corner of the balcony or patio.
• Put straw inside the container to use as heating. Blankets or friezes seem to keep warm, but the reality is that they capture moisture by cooling the temperature of the box.
• IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are going to use a garage area, clean any antifreeze residue (anti-freeze) ground. The smell of this liquid is tempting for both dogs and cats, but ingesting it is toxic.
• Make sure the pussy has easy access to the site.
• Don't force him in. Let him discover the site alone. If it appears to be cozy and safe, the pussy will take advantage of it.
• After feeling safe at home, you may want to enter and be part of the family. Adopting a stray cat is a charity that brings joy and company for years, consider it.
If you have to protect a colony of cats: The principles are the same, only on a larger scale.
• The colony has its place decided by now, moving them to your garage is not an alternative.
• Like the lone cat, you use plastic boxes or containers placed inches above the ground.
• Bigger is not better: We think that if there are many cats, a larger container provides more comfort. But the cat world doesn't work that way.
The body creates heat and the more bodies coexist in the same place, the hotter it stays. A very large area disperses the temperature making the container one as cold as the outside.
• They are all friends: The cat is intelligent, nobody doubts it. During the rest of the year it is "everyone in their corner", but when it is cold, everyone snuggles together to keep warm.
Details about food and water for both one or more cats:
• If you know about "catch / sterilize / return", you know that the need for cat routine is not eliminated when the colony lives in the street. By this I mean that they wait for their food and water change at the same time every day. A GREAT RESPONSIBILITY.
So if you plan to take care of the colony, consider these details before you begin.
Cats will not understand why the human who fed them stopped coming. It is important to have more people responsible for the mission in case someone has to be absent. Although they do not live with you, they already feel part of the family and wait for you.
• Place food and water dishes on high ground surfaces and away from wind currents. Prevents freezing quickly.
• If you are going to feed them with canned food: Open the cans and heat the food before taking it. The cat likes food at a temperate temperature, not frozen.
• Always have dry food available. Although it also suffers with the change in temperature, hunger can do more.
• Frozen water: Heat the water before carrying it. If it freezes it does not work for the mininos And they can survive without food for a few days, but they only resist one day without drinking water.
• Be consistent. And thanks for taking care of the mininos. We need more people like you.
Does the cat need an extra energy contribution in cold weather?
If the cat is an adventurer who lives abroad, he may need an extra supply of food to maintain his body heat, however, the homemade felines who live comfortably at home and do not exercise they can get fat if we give them more food than usual because they don't burn it.
In general, home cats should follow the winter same diet that the rest of the year, unless the veterinarian indicates otherwise. The balanced food for cats contains the vitamins and minerals necessary to strengthen our cat's defenses. If it's an adventurous cat that loves to give outdoor walks you must extreme the be careful in the coldest days and avoid spending a lot of time outside. If a day of snow, frost or intense cold your cat suffers a hypothermia you must act quickly, shelter him with a blanket, rub his body with energy and bring him some heat source like a hot water bottle.
Cats more sensitive to cold and in need of greater protection
Little hair cats
Cats that have little fur like Siamese or have a total absence like the Sphinx need more shelter than furry cats that have a natural fur coat. Provide blankets and even a sweater to cover the spine and prevent cooling.
Young puppies or cats have a poorly developed immune system and are more vulnerable than adult cats. Take good care of him, give him a special feeding for kittens and protect him from the cold with care.
Cats older than 7 years have the most weakened defenses and may present age problems that worsen their ability to withstand the cold.
Cats when they have a disease have low defenses and are more susceptible to catching cold and colds. In addition, joint and musculoskeletal diseases such as osteoarthritis and arthritis worsen with the arrival of the cold.
And if he has had a cold? You will notice that your cat has had a cold because it has symptoms similar to those of our colds: watery eyes, sneezing, mucus, apathy. In this case, the veterinarian will be able to prevent the cold from getting complicated and that it can affect the lungs. Whenever you go outside and get wet, coat the fur well to remove moisture and avoid these colds.
Give them a shelter
Placing several booths - whether new or old - or similar in the area where they spend more time will help them overcome the winter. If we also put some blankets, surely they will not hesitate for a moment to get inside.
Although, yes, we must try to "hide it" as much as possible, putting branches above leaving, of course, the accessible entrance. The wildest cats, the so-called feral ones, do not usually show interest in things made by humans since our smell - the one we leave in them - and that they can detect thanks to Jacobson's organ makes them distrustful.
Therefore, if we hide the shelter, we also hide our smell.
Take them to eat
As important as protecting yourself from the cold is feeding. During winter, cats prefer to protect themselves from low temperatures rather than spending time on other things. Thus, It is convenient to take them with food and water every day.
To avoid problems with the neighbors, we will bring them dry food, since it is much cleaner than the wet one, and we will remove the possible dirt they may have left.
Thus, stray cats may be protected.