By its nature, the cat tolerates changes and A trip can be very stressful for them. If you are going to travel by public transport with yours, we have prepared these tips so that everything goes well.
If the trip is short distance, the two best options are the bus and the train, but for longer distances it is normal for us to travel by plane. A food that can help to reduce the nerves of the cat in the most tense moments of the trip is Royal Canin Diet Calm CC 36. Consult with your veterinarian its suitability in any case.
Travel with cat by bus
- According to the General Traffic Regulations, with the exception of assistance dogs, It is not possible to transport animals in the passenger compartment if the vehicles do not have a space intended for this purpose. Thus, the cat must be housed in the luggage rack and should be placed where indicated by the head of the company, usually the driver.
- Usually, transportation is done under the responsibility of the traveler, so that there is no possibility of claim in case there is any mishap in which the cat suffers any damage.
- Warn in advance that you are traveling with a cat, as some companies They only admit the presence of a single animal per bus.
- If you cross borders and also from a bus company, you must Know the conditions in each moment and place.
Travel with cat by train
- As a rule, the cat travels in the car with the passenger, but only if the rest of the travelers agree.
- At all times the cat must remain in the inside of the carrier and it must meet the characteristics determined by the railroad company. Dimensions, structure, ventilation ...
- When you book your ticket, inform that you travel with a cat in case you have to pay any additional amount. In Spain there is no cost in commuter trips but in long or medium distance trips.
- Follow the instructions of the company's staff when placing the carrier, as They can forbid you to carry it on your lap.
Travel with cat by plane
- At least for now, animals are considered merchandise by airlines, so they must be billed as luggage. There is only one exception, when their weight does not exceed a specific figure and they are accompanied by a passenger. Each company has its standards, so you should consult them.
- In almost all airlines it is possible to take the cat in the cabin not exceeding the maximum weight established (between 6 and 8 kilos counting the carrier according to each company), but it is also usual to determine a maximum number of animals per flight, so hire it in advance
- During the flight, the carrier must be located under the passenger seat That carries it. This determines the maximum size of the carrier based on the space available under the seats. In this case it is possible that the use of soft carriers is allowed, but you should consult it.
- In summer, try to make the flight first thing in the morning or at night so that the temperatures are as low as possible. Extreme summer heat can cause heat stroke in your cat, which can have a fatal outcome by not being able to be treated immediately because it travels in the cellar.
- Yes unfortunately your cat suffers some damageduring the trip and you must take it to the veterinarian, request a certificate with which to claim the company.
Travel by courier
- exist companies specialized in the transport of pets without companion. As these are private companies based in any country in the world, the conditions, rates and limitations depend on them. For example, some pet transport companies They refuse to bring Persian cats if they are extremely flat.
- Some courier companies have Special vehicles and routes for transporting animals. Again, you should check with them the conditions.
Essential to travel in all cases
- Remember that transporting your cat will require that you do it with the necessary documentation, It depends on the country of destination. In general the sanitary passport with vaccinations a day (especially rabies), a certificate of good health and the ID by microchip or tattoo. Check with the place of destination what is the mandatory method of identification and if the indication of the deworming in the sanitary passport.
- Check the identification method, since in some countries it is mandatory to be done by microchip.
- He it is not advisable for a sick or very old cat to take a long trip. It is also not suitable for very young kittens (less than 4 months old). Check with your veterinarian.
- Your veterinarian will also tell you if you can give him any medication to keep him relaxed during the journey. In that case, follow its instructions to the letter.
- Cover the base of the carrier with some disposable absorbent material, especially if he vomits. To avoid vomiting, nothing better than undertake the journey on an empty stomach for at least 6 hours.
- It's good that your cat is familiar with the carrier and spray it with pheromones To help you be relaxed.
Regardless of the means of transport, it doesn't hurt place an identification tag on the carrier just in case it got lost at some point. It should include your contact information, for example, your name and phone number.